Items filtered by date: July 2019
The collection of historic artifacts and photos that were stored at the Kemptville Campus have been shared between the Kemptville College Alumni Association and the Kemptville Campus. Ongoing discussions between Mayor Nancy Peckford, Deputy Mayor Jim McManaman, and Alumni representatives led to an agreement of which material would stay on the Campus for historical purposes, and which materials would be transferred to the Alumni.
Campus operations are guided by three pillars: education and training, health and wellness, and economic development, as outlined on our About page.
There are currently several buildings with spaces for short-term rent, or long-term lease. As well, there are spaces which may be rented for individual occasions.
For more information, please contact:
Tel: 613-258-8336 Ext. 243
Currently no tenders published.
In 1916, Kemptville native and provincial Minister G. Howard Ferguson announced an investment by the Ontario Government of $50,000 toward the establishment of what was to become Kemptville College. By 1919, after three years of preparatory work, land acquisition, and the appointment of its first President, W.J. Bell, Kemptville College was delivering short courses in agriculture in livestock care and crop rotation, plus farm management and other practical courses. The regular two-year agricultural courses began in the fall of 19201.
For most of the next 100 years, first as Kemptville Agricultural School (KAS), and later as Kemptville College - the Campus delivered agricultural and rural trades courses serving eastern Ontario and beyond. In 1997, it affiliated with the Ontario Agricultural College at the University of Guelph, and in 2007 acquired the name Kemptville Campus in recognition of its integration into the university2.
In 2014, the University of Guelph announced that academic programs at the Kemptville campus would close, once current students had completed their studies3. Immediately, the Municipality of North Grenville, supported by a number of regional stakeholders, expressed interest in acquiring the campus. Later that year, the Provincial Facilitator, Honourable Lyle Vanclief recommended that the property be transferred to the Municipality4.
Between 2015 and 2017 the Municipality conducted due diligence procedures and studies, including a feasibility study by BDO. This led to negotiations to acquire the Campus and ultimately an agreement to purchase. The official acquisition of the Campus by the Municipality occurred on March 28, 20185.
Archive: Kemptville Agricultural School - Courtesy of TVO
Scenes of activity at a special outdoor occasion at the Kemptville Agricultural School are followed by shots in the various classes there in the early 1920's. These show students studying soil analysis, horticulture and carcass and livestock judging. Students are also shown building farm implements and mending harnesses.
1 “A College with a Purpose”, by Phyllis Dutchak, Mika Publishing, 1972
2 Wikipedia, Kemptville College
4 Background to the renewal of Kemptville College, North Grenville website
Video Source: TVO Archives
Kemptville Campus Education and Community Centre is an educational and multi-use facility serving the community of North Grenville and surrounding Area.
The Campus includes 630 acres and 17 main buildings, as well as woodlands, cropland, wetland, greenspace, green houses, an agroforestry centre and maple bush, trails, and other buildings - sports facilities, residence, and catering facilities.
Campus operations are guided by three pillars:
Education and Training
- Applied Research
Health and Wellness
- Arts and Culture
- Technology Transfer Partnerships
- Business Incubation /Acceleration
- Student Managed Enterprise / Entrepreneurships
Key elements of the Campus’ vision for the future include resiliency, innovation, and sustainability.
The Municipality of North Grenville purchased the Campus from the Agricultural Research Institute of Ontario (ARIO) in 2018. One of the unique aspects of the Municipality’s purchase of Kemptville Campus is the partnership that has developed with the Conseil des écoles publiques de l'Est de l'Ontario (CEPEO). This partnership has provided the Campus with expertise and innovation in the education field, as well as extensive knowledge of community hubs and how they can best serve the community.
The operation and maintenance of the renewed Kemptville Campus is through a wholly-owned not-for-profit corporation, which operates at arm’s length from the Municipality. The mandate for the not-for-profit is to develop the Campus as a multi-tenant site with a mission to serve not just the community, but eastern Ontario, in ways that promote innovation and business incubation, that sustain and grow opportunities for agricultural education and advance health and wellness.
Board of Directors:
Chair - Mayor Nancy Peckford
Director - Deputy Mayor Jim McManaman
Director - Stéphane Vachon